Mulching is one of the most important and beneficial process to the trees. Mulching will help you promote the growth of the trees. It is important for you to understand the process of mulching for you to effectively use it.
What is mulching?
This is the process of applying the materials over the soil surface of the tree to help in retaining the moisture of the trees. There are different types of mulches that you can use. You will come across the organic and the inorganic mulches. Inorganic mulches include the lava rock, rubber, stone and fabric. These inorganic mulches do not decompose and thus do not add any value to the soil.
The organic mulches include the hardwood barks, softwood, wood chips, leaves and other decomposing products. If you want to improve the quality of the soil, this is the right type of mulch that you need.
Benefits of mulching
- Mulches tend to reduce the loss of moisture
- It helps to control the growth of the weeds
- It protects the roots from the extreme temperature by insulating the soil
- The organic mulch will increase the fertility of the soil
- They tend to reduce and prevent diseases
- It gives your tree a great appearance
What are the problems associated with mulching
Yes, mulching is the right for the trees. However, too much of it can pose danger to the trees. The recommended size is 2 to 4 inches off the ground. You need to be cautious not to cause the mulch build up.
The other different problems include;
- If you apply deep mulch on wet soil it will lead to excess moisture which can cause the roots to rot
- When you pile the mulch on the side of the stem can cause the stress on the stem tissues. It may also lead to the onset of infections and diseases
- The mulch that contain fresh grass can lead to the rise on the soil pH which can cause the toxic buildups
- If the mulch is thick, it may prevent the penetration of the air and water
- Anaerobic mulch tends to produce a sour smell. They can also be toxic to the plants.
What is the right way of mulching?
First and foremost, you need to pay attention to the type of mulch that you apply. This is because it will determine the health of the tree.
- The first thing that you need to do is to determine the drainage system of the soil.
- You also need to establish the type of trees that you have. There are those trees that can’t benefit from the mulch
- It is important for you check the depth of the mulch is there is already mulch in the tree.
Organic mulch is the best option for you because it will help you maintain the moisture on the tree. They will also help to increase the quality of the soil which will eventually increase the health of the tree.